Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Hills Market Worthington

The Hills Market, Main Entrance
The Hills Market is located in Worthington, just north of I-270 and just off of Rt. 315 North.  It’s a locally-owned specialty grocery that stocks everything from free-range turkeys and house-made salads to craft beer, wine, and liquor.

Naturally, my interest was primarily in the craft beer selection, which is what this post will focus on.  This does not mean you won’t find great food, wine, and liquor there.  (In fact you will.  I saw OYO and Watershed products on the shelves, and those are good stuff – made here in Ohio.)

Their seasonal beer selection included Fat Head’s Holly Jolly, Troeg’s Mad Elf, Southern Tier 2XMAS, Thirsty Dog Pumpkin Ale, and others.  It’s a smaller selection than many retailers, but contained a beer or two I’ve not seen elsewhere yet.

Some of the craft beer selection
Their main beer selection included the standard macro-brews as well as products from Avery, Oskar Blues, Hoppin’ Frog, Ayinger, Baltika, Samuel Smith, La Trappe, St. Bernardus, Duvel, New Planet, Omission, Hinterland, Schneider & Sohn, Stone, Portsmouth (Ohio) Brewing, Indigo Imp Brewery, Great Divide, Great Lakes, Sierra Nevada, Columbus Brewing Company, Lagunitas, Clown Shoes, The Brew Kettle, Weyerbacher, Green Flash, Innis & Gunn, Founder’s, Ballast Point, Flying Dog, North Coast, Left Hand, and… well, lots of others.  A nice selection overall, but probably not the equal of shops like Savor Growl, Weiland’s, or Kenny Road Market in sheer numbers.  About 45% of their stock appears to be refrigerated, and the rest is on unrefrigerated shelves.

The pricing was comparable to other local retailers.  Take Gulden Draak (large size bottle) as an example. The Hills Market price was $11.99, which is the price I’ve seen it going for almost everywhere.  Once I bought two bottles for $8.99 each, which is the lowest price I’ve ever seen for it..  I’ve also seen it as high as $13.99 in local retailers.

Refrigerated beer section
Samuel Smith beers usually hover around $4.99 a bottle, and were $4.49 here.  This isn’t a calculated statistical analysis, but my guess is that probably 80% of the prices matched other local retailers for the same beer in the same size bottle, while the other 20% might have been a bit higher or lower.  Both singles and multi-packs are sold here, as well as a few gift sets.

The Hills Market staff were friendly and helpful without being pushy or “in your face”.  They offered thoughtful suggestions but would also leave you alone to let you shop in peace.  Overall a good shopping experience.

The Hills Market Worthington
7860 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43235
Phone: 614-846-3220

Seasonal beer selections

Wine selection

No comments:

Post a Comment